In accordance with Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315, Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020. Schuylkill Technology Center will follow what Section 1018 codifies in statue the following requirements.
All links for answers are listed at the end of the page. The links will explain the requirement in greater detail.
Schools must provide a covered individual (a student using benefits under chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or 35 of title 38, U.S.C., or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S.C.) with a personalized shopping sheet that contains:
- Estimated total cost of the course that includes tuition, fees, books, supplies and any other additional costs. STC Student Handbook
- Estimated cost of living expenses. STC Student Handbook
- Amount of costs above that are covered by VA Education Benefits. Tuition and Fees up to the allowable amount issued by The Department of Veteran Affairs will be applied to the student’s tuition and fees. Any cost above that will be the responsibility of the student.
- Other types of Federal financial aid, not administered by VA that is offered by the institution, that the individual may be qualified to receive. STC Student Handbook
- Estimated amount of student loan debt the individual would have upon graduation. Student Right To Know Section
- Information regarding graduation rates. Program Statistics Section
- Information regarding job-placement rates for graduates, if available.
- Information regarding the acceptance of transfer credits including military credits. STC Student Handbook
- Any additional requirements including training, experience, or examinations that are required to obtain a license, certification or approval for which the course of education prepares the individual. STC Student Handbook
- Other information to facilitate comparison by the individual about aid packages offered by different educational institutions. Big Future – Compare your Aid Awards
- Personalized shopping sheets must be provided within 15 days after tuition and fees are determined for the academic year if there is a change. STC Adult Programs Financial Aid Section
- Inform an enrolled covered individual of the availability of federal financial aid, not administered by VA that is offered by the institution. STC Adult Programs Financial Aid Section
- Alert the individual of the potential eligibility for other federal financial aid before packaging or arranging student loans or alternative financing. STC Adult Programs Financial Aid Section
- Prohibit automatic renewal of a covered individual in a course and/or programs. Student will complete Certification Information sheet at the Financial Aid Office
- Ensure each covered individual approves of the enrollment in a course. Orientation is held two weeks prior to the start of each class. All enrollment forms and conditions are reviewed and completed in person at that time.
- Allow enrolled members of the Armed Forces, including reserve components and National Guard to be readmitted if such members are temporarily unavailable or must suspend enrollment by reason of serving in the Armed Forces. STC Student Handbook
- Accommodate short absences for such services in the Armed Forces. STC Student Handbook
- Schools must provide covered individuals the requirements for graduation and a graduation timeline. STC Student Handbook
- Accredited educational institutions agree to obtain approval of the respective accrediting agency for each new course or program. STC Student Handbook
Schools must designate an employee of the educational institution to serve as a point of contact for covered individuals and family members seeking assistance with:
- Academic Counseling Melissa Frie & Breeon Schultz
- Financial Counseling Melissa Frie
- Disability Counseling Melissa Frie
- Other information regarding completing a course of education at the education institution Melissa Frie & Breeon Schultz
State Approving Agency will take action when the education institution does any of the following:
- Carries out deceptive or persistent recruiting techniques including on military institutions.
- Misrepresents payment of incentive compensation.
- During a 1-month period makes three or more unsolicited contacts to a covered individual via phone, email and/or in person.
- Engages in same day recruitment and registration.
- Provides a commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollments or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admission activities, or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance. (Please note: schools are already subject to this requirement under 38 U.S.C. § 3696(d)(1)).